Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mark Twain on the Scriptures

Mark Twain had this to say about the Bible:

Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand.

I think this is a pretty insightful quote. I'm not sure what Twain's perspective is on the Bible, if he was a believer or not, because this could be taken as a criticism of the Bible. Whatever his viewpoint, I think it can be understandable by Christians as well. When we read and understand the ideas of forgiving our enemies 77 times 7 times, of turning the other cheek, of the fact that the last shall be first and the first shall be last, those are the concepts that bother us and disturb us. There are far more people disturbed by "love your neighbor as yourself" and its implications than an obscure prophetic passage in the Old Testament.

No comments: