Thursday, February 7, 2008

Quotes from the Founding Fathers (And Honest Abe)

I came across these the other day while surfing the net. I make no statements about the relationship these men had with Christ. Jefferson I'm pretty sure was not a Christian from other words I have read by him. Whether they were Christ followers or not, the quotes are interesting things for former presidents to say. While using the Bible as a handbook for life is an admirable thing, I hope they went further and actually met the person the whole book is pointing to - Jesus Christ.


It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible. --George Washington

I am profitably engaged in reading the Bible. Take all of this Book that you can by reason and the balance by faith, and you will live and die a better man. It is the best Book which God has given to man. --Abraham Lincoln

I have always said that a studious perusal of the sacred volume will make better citizens, better fathers, and better husbands. --Thomas Jefferson.

So great is my veneration for the Bible that the earlier my children begin to read it the more confident will be my hope that they will prove useful citizens of their country and respectable members of society. I have for many years made it a practice to read through the Bible once every year. --John Quincy Adams

No comments: